Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Nik,
    Wildlife and gardens should all blend together as one. Even the deer in the right place lol. You must feel very fortunate to see so much in your garden. I'm so glad your sharing your wonderful photos and experiences with us all.

D

2. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Slightly broadening my horizons on the forum, tentative first step,
    jiuzhaigou #1 bamboo this morning.

DSCN0082.jpg DSCN9983.jpg
    DSCN0211.jpg

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Good evening G, love those incredible colours, looks just perfect in your garden.
    You do need the room though, our eldest daughter planted 4 small ones last year and now it's taken over a part of her garden, lol.

D

4. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

D,

Well,
    I do have more bamboo cultivars than maples,
    though these are all petite compared to what I grew in the tropics.

5. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

RE: Dracunculus vulgaris - dragon's claw arum

They opened on Friday, you get to enjoy them for about a week and then they are done for another year...
    And, if I'm lucky, they will have been pollinated.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

I've just had an early fathers day gift from one of my granddaughters.
    It's Hosta 'Devon Green', just planted it beneath Acer shirasawanum Aureum.

D

Attached Files:

7. pmurphy

I love to watch the birds in my yard but trying to get photos is just about impossible so I bought myself a trail camera. I set it up by the garden waterfall and now I have some truly amazing close-ups of birds behaving normally, and some that I would never have thought of - did you know hummingbirds will drink water while flying? You might want to consider getting one and setting it up in a strategic area.

Nik and wcutler like this.
  8. Acerholic

Good afternoon, the rain has just stopped, so I took this photo of my Zebra grass( common name) in my front garden. Official name Miscanthus sinensis zebrinus grass.

It is cut down hard every March just before the new green shoots start to appear. It will stay like this until the November frosts.

D

Attached Files:

pmurphy likes this.
  9. Acerholic

This is my latest Hosta just arrived today. It is Hosta 'Guacamole' (plantain lily). It has fragrant white flowers in July and August.
    I've planted it between my Acer palmatum ' Osakasuki ' and Acer palmatum ' Autumn Gold'.
    Over the next couple of years my wife and I intend to increase our collection of Hostas to underplant our maples that are underplated by our Prunus, Beech, Betula Snow Queen and other various trees.
    This is a project started in Autumn 2019, when we removed our lawn completely, to accommodate more trees to encourage wildlife into our garden.
    It seems to be working already.

D

Attached Files:

10. pmurphy

I have a large clump growing in my terrace and it is an eye catching grass, especially in the fall when it sends up it's feather blooms.

11. pmurphy

The weather has been warm for the last couple of days (finally) so I decided to do a little "clean and control" (weeding and pruning) and noticed a few interesting things. I also noticed that it only took those couple of days of heat for some blossoms to finally decide to start opening.

Gladiolus nanus 'Guernsey Glory', dwarf gladioli.
    Punica granatum, pomegranate (this is a 2.5 meter shrub, not the "patio" plants commonly found).
    Opuntia humifusa (or Opuntia compressa var. humifusa, depending on who you ask), Eastern prickly pear.
    Opuntia compressa, Eastern prickly pear.
    Alstroemeria spp., Peruvian lily.
    Schisandra grandiflora 'Apricot Blush', found fruit clusters for the first time (about 15 cm long).
    Cyrtomium falcatum, holly fern - an interesting view of the spores.

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

A 'like'for the beautiful photos and the gorgeous dog in photo 1, a Spaniel ??

13. pmurphy

Thank you, we were told she was labradoodle but being a rescue no one really knows.

14. Acerholic

Darned cute whatever she is.

15. Acerholic

Just taken these two of my Stipa (Ponytail grass) in my front garden.
    The breeze is just right to make it dance a little today.

Attached Files:

16. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

• An attractive, drought-tolerant bunchgrass with fine leaves and a narrow inflorescence that sways gracefully in the wind. However, it readily escapes from cultivation and takes hold in disturbed areas, natural areas, and in sidewalk cracks, driveways, and tree wells. It is an invasive species in California and Oregon.

Nassella - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2020
  17. Acerholic

Hi Ron , mine is labelled Stipa Ponytails tenuissima. Mexican feather grass. Have added photo of the label. It is similar to the photo of the Nassella, but not the same IMHO.

PS Congrats on 20,000 postings, quite an achievement.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2020
    wcutler likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Here is the very first flower this Summer of my Trachelospermum or commonly known as Star Jasmin.
    I have this cimbing by my sheltered area that protects my very young maples and the scent from just a few flowers fills the evening air wonderfully. When it is in full flower it is almost overpowering.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Nik like this.
  19. Nik

Nik Contributor

One of my Astilbe plants is beginning to bloom. They complement any shade garden. All were a gift from a neighbor who has a wonderful koi pond with a large dissectum Japanese maple, surrounded by different ferns and an enormous variety of Astilbe. (On rare occasions an osprey will snatch a large koi from their pond). The rest are some ferns.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Good afternoon Nik, that purple Astilbi with the different shades of green ferns just jumps out of the photo at you. And you have Ospreys overhead, lovely!!! Not the prettiest of birds close up, but wonderful in their actions to catch fish, not unlike the fish eagle. I haven't handled an Osprey, but have seen them at a Raptor sanctuary I trained at.
    Your flora and fauna is amazing, do keep the photos coming, I'm loving them.

Nik likes this.
  21. pmurphy

Lovely!
    I have a little Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise' that has yet to flower, but the contrast in color against other plants is something, especially when the sun is out.

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  22. pmurphy

I'm interested in the last fern image, do you know what it is?

23. Acerholic

So very bright, almost luminescent, I remember the beautiful scent when my wife and I grew one. Lovely Summer photos @pmurphy.

24. Acerholic

Can I take a stab at this one, 'Onoclea sensibilis' . I will be interested to hear what Nik says also. It is lovely.

25. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It seems that Nassella tenuissima is a more recent botanical name for Stipa tenuissima - Mexican Hair Grass. I keep a few in my garden because it's so beautiful at this time of year but I can attest to its invasiveness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.