Vines for sunny balcony? Possibly evergreen?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Sphinxie, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Sphinxie

Sphinxie Member

We have a southwest facing corner balcony that gets a lot of sun. I'd really like to plant a vine or two along the metal edge of the balcony. (Not sure what the proper term is?)

For the last couple years I've been trying to grow a vegetable garden on the balcony, since I'm used to veggie gardens. It never worked--in particular, we always seemed to go traveling just when the cherry tomatoes and zucchini got going (and it was really all about tomatoes and zucchini). Also watering every day didn't seem to be enough during part of the summer--this may still be something I need to work out.

Recently I realized that what would really be best would be a soothing, mostly green garden with some flowers and edibles. The most important part of this would be vines. The absolute ideal would be evergreen vines--you know how nice it can be to look outside and see some green in the wintertime. (Or even just for the mild parts of winter.) Although maybe there could be just one evergreen and a couple of non-evergreens.

So far I've had two ideas: clematis (armandii or cirrhosa?), and a rambling rose (adelaide d'orleans?). Do you have any ideas? Anything else I should know about?

Thank you!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bluecrown passionflower. Anything like this you put out will have to have enough soil to come through the winter, small planters that freeze up like bricks won't do. You will also need enough volume to support the growth of the tops.

3. Sphinxie

Sphinxie Member

I would love to plant passionflower, if I can find a source around here from which to buy some!

Would a 1 gallon container be about the right size?

edit: aha, I did some digging on this site and in my bookmarks and found several sources.

I am also looking at honeysuckle. Can anyone tell me what size container they would need?

edit again: I am thinking of using these cloth containers, possibly with some kind of self-watering arrangement rigged up. (Probably just a perforated soda bottle stuck inside for this year, and maybe something more beneficial with a big white food bucket next year--I have figured out how to do it but I don't have the materials to make it.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Think bigger. Think 5 or 10 gallons to be sure of it not freezing up.

Honeysuckle might invade, but if you want to plant it go with a big container. I like the look of the Smart Pots - too bad it would cost so much to get them down here :)

5. Jazz

Jazz Member

Nice evergreen vines for south side would be Akebia quinata. I have one growing on a trellis to hide a 250 gallon propane tank. It conceals it perfectly. If you plant two, you'll even get fruit from them. The fruit looks odd, but is quite tasty.

Clematis armandii, of course, but you could also put in Lonicera henryi, which is an evergreen honeysuckle.

Passionflower will not remain evergreen on the edge of a balcony. It has to be under the eaves to keep the leaves, and even then, if it gets really cold, it will defoliate.

Good luck!

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Akebia isn't fully committed to being evergreen either.

7. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Star Jasmine or honeysuckle? Ivy grown on a lattice is nice. But don't let it get on the wall. I have one with minature heart shaped leaves that grows slowly. You could grow scarlet runners for summer.

Attached Files: