Vicoria -- is the climate so different?

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by morganbaker, Mar 31, 2005.

1. OK, are we half as wet as Vancouver? I know we are officially a "Mediterranean" climate, so does that mean our newly planted grapes will thrive here?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Mediterranean, in the way you have used it here, just means the precipitation is concentrated in winter. I have seen modified Mediterranean used to differentiate u s from the hot summer versions of California and the Mediterranean region.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Welcome to the Forums morganbaker. I have always thought that the climate was just a bit milder in Victoria than Vancouver, but I have never looked up actual statistics. Seems that the rainfall has been seriously short of normal on Vancouver Island of late.

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Hi and welcome.
    What variety did you plant? There are lots of grapes that will do well in Victoria, and lots more that will not, depending on what you want from them. You will not likely have any problems with hardiness, but they all have certain and different requirements of sun and warmth during the growing season to fully ripen. It can also make a difference if they are grafted or self rooted.
    www.agf.gov.bc.ca/treefrt/homegdn/grapes.htm
    is a good place to start for local information.
    Ralph