Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni)

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Durgan, May 31, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BeetleV 31 May 2009 Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni)

This small insect has damaged the snowball bushes in less than two days. I have observed similar damage to elderberry bushes in the woods, and the insect at first look appears to be the same. Presently the control consists of soap along with rhubarb leaf extract. Whether this is effective hasn't been determined as yet, since spraying commenced this morning.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ViburnumB Information regarding the Viburnum Leaf Beetle

2. SharonD

SharonD Member

June 1st, 2009
    I believe it is the Viburnum leaf beetle larvae that has just successfully turned one of my snowball trees into a skeleton. I was shocked when I saw that every last bit of green has disappeared from the tree in a matter of days.

I have another large snowball tree that it is now attaching and would appreciate any suggestions as to how to stop this aggressive annoying larvae from destroying my beautiful tree.

My Japanese maple and crabapple are also showing signs that something is attaching it, I am wondering if it is the same pest.

Sharon

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Sharon, can "SEARCH" for ''viburnum leaf beetle" in the top title bar, some info comes up. Some neighbours are hosing theirs off with water, it seems to help right now, except hard to get the critters inside the flowers.

4. Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Damage 3 June 2009 Viburnum Leaf Beetle (Pyrrhalta viburni) on Viburnum in the woods. I noticed this damage on a walk in the woods. I assume the bush is a Viburnum. The damage is almost compete destruction of the bush.

I suspect my concoction of boiled rhubarb leaves and soap in water is having some effect on reducing the population of the bugs on the two viburnum's in my yard. I am still finding a few larvae, but I suspect in reduced numbers.

5. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

Oh that is soooo sad ... i have a Viburnam tree also and i love it .. i would hate to have that happen to mine .. and i have heard about the beetles but didnt know they did damage like that ...
    I had heard that the rhubarb extract also works on aphids on the roses .. so i hope it helps with your tree ..

good luck

Marion

6. Durgan

Deleted

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Durgan, how very sad to see a big shrub reduced to a skeleton so quickly.
    Viburnums are a favourite of ours, I will have to remember about your Rhubarb concoction. Hope you win the battle.
    The trouble is if it gets into the wild woodland Virburnum it may become unstoppable. ( Like the Dutch elm disease that killed all the U.K.elms.) Do hope it won't come to that.

8. Durgan

Success in eradication of the Viburnum Leaf Beetle

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Larvae 9 June 2009 Viburnum Leaf Beetle
    The two viburnum trees were spayed about five times over three days and all the larvae have been destroyed. I used my home made sprayer which made dispensing the rhubarb and soap in water easy to dispense. Next year I will start spraying at the first sign of infestation. Action taken was a bit late but at least all the vegetation was not destroyed. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YJTPX 19 March 2009 Spray can for garden use.

9. Priya Mahalingam

Priya Mahalingam Member

Hai,

You can refer www.kootenaycovers.com. You can also find protecting bags for the tree.

10. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

This is hearsay, but an older fellow at the local nursery, who does a lot of hiking through the woods all over New England, told me he believes this is a cyclical thing -- the beetle sweeps through every 20 or 25 years, wreaks havoc, and then disappears for a while. He also says that the beetle only attacks certain viburnum species (and the nursery has stopped selling those).

Unfortunately he also says (I'm paraphrasing) that if you've got susceptible species in your garden, you are pretty much doomed. You can fight a holding action, but while the infestation lasts, the bugs will be endemic to the local ecosystem, and they'll just keep coming back at you. The best hope is if there are no other host plants in the immediate vicinity and the beetles fail to "discover" you.