Very strange things happening to pilea peperomioides leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MMilton, Sep 13, 2020.

1. MMilton

MMilton New Member

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's happening to my pilea? I think the white spots are probably over watering? (It's a new plant for me). But I don't know what to make of the black marks and brown scarring.

Where the dark spots are, the surface of the top of the leaves is becoming rough and bumpy (also tried to capture this in one of the photos).

Any thoughts? (thank you for looking!)

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I believe the white spots are remnants of normal plant guttation. However the size of the spots seem excessive so it could indeed be from over-watering. Not sure about the black spots but I've noted that leaves that are about to be shed are discolored and yellowing, along with some spotting and sometimes what appears to be fungal growth underneath the leaf surface. Are all the leaves affected or just the oldest ones?

3. MMilton

MMilton New Member

Thank you for the reply! It would seem that it's mostly older ones that are affected, though one of them appear to be yellowing or look like they are about to be shed. I pruned the ones that have these dark spots, so I will know soon if it continues. And cutting back on the watering does seemed to have helped the white spots :)

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

For the sake of comparison, the substance under my leaves looks like very small grains of powder or a grain of sand.