Identification: Very Small Plants that Resemble Some Fungi, with Round-ish Saucer-Like Leaves

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by jason9v, May 23, 2019.

1. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

Hello Everyone,

Do you know what this plant is? It is very small, and has round-ish and saucer-like leaves that resemble some fungi.

Elevation : 1200 m
    Season : Late July

Jason

Plant 18 - 1 Detail.jpg Plant 18 - 2 Detail.jpg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A better photo of habitat might be necessary.

jason9v likes this.
  3. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

I took a photo that shows a bit more of the immediate surroundings. The plant is surrounded by some luetkea, which is roughly a similar size. Other than that, I see a bunch of rocks, soil and pieces of bark, twigs and leaves

Plant 18 - Wide.jpg

The link below is a panorama that was taken and uploaded by someone else, but it shows the broader environment of the approximate area near where I took my photo. The panorama is labeled to have been taken or uploaded in October, while my photo was taken in late July.

Google Maps

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I lean toward it being a violet.

jason9v likes this.
  5. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

I will see if I can visit the area again later this year and try to photograph it during flowering.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

jason9v likes this.
  7. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

Awesome, thank you. I looked it up on the internet for its flowering season, turned out to be early spring - sadly, it looks like by the time I can return to the area later this year, the flowering season for viola orbiculata will be over.