Identification: Very odd Fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by carazariah, Feb 15, 2009.

1. carazariah

carazariah Member

I posted this to Hort, not realizing this part of the board was here: Sorry to double post:

Hello!
    thanks for the great site, I'm looking for assistance with identifying this very odd looking mushroom/fungi in my backyard. They came up within the last 2 weeks in my son's play area it has lots of pine mulch from Lowes and pine needles from the 5 pines above it.

http://www.interfaithnetworking.com/...s-this-fungus/

Thank you for looking at this and any assistance you can provide. I'm afraid this is way outside my expertise, as I can identify a computer part much more quickly than I can even begin to describe this properly.

Glenn

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

um.. there is no picture this is what it says "hopfally you will figure this out""compuder thing":

404 - Not Found
    The page you are looking for is not here.

3. carazariah

carazariah Member

It would help if vbulletin didn't truincate the address I pasted in:

http://www.interfaithnetworking.com/myblog/2009/02/14/what-is-this-fungus/

As opposed to the actual URL "http://www.interfaithnetworking.com/myblog/2009/02/14/what-is-this-fungus/"

I copied and pasted the entire post from the Hort board, it doesn't look like Vbulletin allowed the complete hyperlink to come over, it worked fine on the first post:

Glenn

BTW: I fixed the first post here so all three links work correctly:

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

thanks, I see the picture now! :) "that looks weard" "sorry I can't help you on this, hopfally somewon els will come in" :] :} :)

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. carazariah

carazariah Member

You Rock!
    Excellent. . . so they are stinky and icky and hard to get rid of but not actually toxic!

Is that the basics of your understanding as well?

Thank you very much!
    :)
    C

7. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for that - I will go forth and ROCK! today!

I've never seen a stinkhorn turn up on a list of fungi which are bad in any way. I believe they are decomposers of leaf litter and such, so are likely good for the garden ultimately.

There are at least two stinkhorns in my region, maybe more, and the only one I've directly experienced was a Dictyophora, a kind with the wedding veil trailing from it, which is used medicinally in soup for lung ailments in traditional chinese medicine.

I know people who've eaten stinkhorn "eggs" sold in other countries for food, but I don't know which species these were. The smell of the adults totally turns me off from the idea of eating one of the eggs!

cheers,
    -frog

8. fungi2

fungi2 Member

Looks like Clathrus ruber Micheli:Persoon = Clathrus cancellatus Tournefort : Fr.
    = Clathrus volvaceus Bulliard

Regards

Charles

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

How lucky for u! All the stinkhorns in my area are the 'plain' ones that just look almost embarrasing to view when found. These that you photographed are facinating in just their SHAPES...not to mention their benifits to the world around. I know that many of this family...some shaped like stars/some with nets/some that look like flowers.....just have so many atributes worthy of canonization. :o)