venus flytrap, and Sarracenia (Flytrompet or something)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by DayDark, Apr 6, 2008.

1. DayDark

DayDark Member

Hi, Im new here, anyways it's good to finally find some place where you can get some experience and advice :D

Anyways, I've heard that your venus flytrap can die if you let it keep it's flower, something about it taking up alot of energy, and so you should cut it as soon as possible, is this true?

Then I have a question regarding Sarracenia, does it automatically fill its traps with water, or do you need to pour water into them? I kinda feel dumb asking about that, course I'm guessing you don't have to, but I just don't wanna kill the plant, better safe than sorry.

anyways, awesome forum!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

For the first one, I doubt that it would die because it flowers. Very few plants do that.

For the second question, if you are growing it, yes, I suppose you will need to supply the water (unless it is growing outdoors and exposed to rain).

3. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Venus Flytraps are not monocarpic. They do not die after flowering. Somebody is confusing them with Bromeliads and Agave.

Sarracenia fill their own pitchers with water. Many of the species have lids covering the opening of the pitcher to prevent rain water from coming inside and flooding them.