venus fly traps!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by neenie13, Apr 24, 2011.

1. neenie13

neenie13 Member

I need one!

the problem is, I have no idea where to get them. Is it ok to order off amazon? or do i have to go out somewhere and buy it?

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Ring round the garden centres, or email them. They often bring in insectivorous plants in the spring. Have you got a terrarium or somewhere moist & bright with a peat (low nutrient organic) soil to grow it?

Buying over the net should be OK, as long as the supplier is in the US.

Have fun....there will be a few less flies in Texas this year, I guess.

3. JPLON

JPLON Member

I bought my venus fly traps from the greenhouse. You can also find them at any nursery/greenhouse. Unless the greenhouses near you don't have any, then you can probably order them off amazon but I wouldn't trust ordering online (just my opinion) :) good luck!

they LOVE water btw

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

There are many places to find Venus Fly Traps. I would steer away form Amazon myself, only because I prefer to buy from reputable nurseries, and you don't always know where people are getting their plants. I hope it's okay to post a link here, but try this site first: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/. Go down to 'Our Advertisers' and you will find a list of reputable sellers. There are many others, but this is a threatened species, and these nurseries do not sell wild-collected plants. Good luck! Remember too to learn about the specific culture of this species, which you can alaso find on that site.

5. neenie13

neenie13 Member

ok thanks!