Venezuelan plants

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by dion, Oct 10, 2008.

1. dion

dion Active Member

Hello

Some more exotic plants from the Venezuelan cloud forest, if someone can think of a genus or family?

No. 2789 produces these characteristic shiny berries which open up into a star as they mature and fall - a Ficus perhaps?

Togata57 many thanks for the orchid id!

Thanks!
    Dion

Attached Files:

2. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

#5 looks like a crassula, reminds me of some like 'buddha's temple' because of the closely stacked leaves. That's just a guess. What a stunner! Thanks for sharing!

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

2789 is a Duco Macho, if I recall correctly, that's Clusia spp. Which one, I really couldn't tell you; there are hundreds down here.

0067 looks very familiar, and I can tell you by looking at it that it's pollinated by bats. In Ecuador, we have purple ones. It's a vine, no?

#4 is commonly called Lengua de Vaca; I think something in Centropogon or Siphocampylus perhaps?

Do you have any more detail on 0050? It's familiar but a lot of cloud forest plants produce that type of flower.

4. dion

dion Active Member

Thank you Lorax The two photos were taken by a friend following behind in the trek, I will ask and come back

5. lorax

Number five, I think I may have found. Try Chuquiragua spp

6. dion

dion Active Member

Lorax, there is something in the arrangements of the leaves on the stems which is different I think between the specimen in my photo and the genus you mention,- I saw some photos- Unfortunately there is no inflorescense to make a better comparison. But we may be close!

7. lorax

The other one that struck me as similar was Lasiocephalus but the leaves there don't seem quite right either....

Or perhaps Loricaria?