Vegetable gardening on a budget

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by emandeli, Mar 18, 2015.

1. emandeli

emandeli Member

Newbie gardener. We moved to a smaller house/yard and there is about a 8x10 plot in the ground near the house (hottest sunniest place), and also now a couple of raised bed. One is only about 7-8 inches deep.

We would like to plant vegetables (some herbs, smaller veggies as well like green onions). We have very small budget this year so I'm curious what would be the most cost-effective way to plant. Buying just a few small veggie starters when they come out or getting seeds?

I am so new that I am just learning about open pollination and correct me if I'm wrong-If I wanted to save seeds and have them be like the parent plant would I look for "op" on seed packets? Since we have 4 kids and one income I would like to try to think ahead and learn how to not have it so expensive each year...learning to compost own, get free manure, etc.

I noticed some pages with seeds can be 4-5$ a small packet whereas other places might be quite less. Is there a major difference? I hate to say it but we are looking for the "best bang for our buck" so to speak.

Any tips or recommendations appreciated very much.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

If you are looking for "bang for your buck" I would recommend checking out Park Seeds http://parkseed.com/. Quick shipping and for certain seeds you are getting a lot for the price - I bought some Sugar Buns Hybrid Corn Seeds for $2.95 but didn't read the description fully so imagine my surprise when I received a large packet of 200 seeds....the same with the peas I ordered. And sometime you can even get free shipping.
    If you want tomatoes I would recommend buying starter plants from a nursery or garden center. If you go with a couple of grape or cherry tomato plants they should provided you with plenty but if you want larger fruit I find early girl or beefsteak nice to deal with.

FYI, if you can find them, try multiplier onions. When young you can use the top as "green onions" but as they mature they will get about the size of a shallot and can be sliced and diced. The interesting thing about them is that they multiply.......continually producing new shoots off the side that you can remove and use, and if you leave the center plant they will come back the next year.

As for your garden, I would recommend drawing out a plan of your garden area and then make a list of what you would like to plant. Then using your garden plan, determine where you are going to plant what is on your "want list". I always want to plant more than I actually have room for and this helps me determine priorities. Sometimes there just isn't enough room so I then get creative and will actually grow some things in large pots (such as tomatoes, cucumbers or peas.......just about anything can be grown in a pot if it is the right size).

Experiment and have fun, there is nothing more enjoyable then eating what you have grown :)

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Another cost saving idea to keep in mind is that you can save unused seeds for many years. I have just planted 5 varieties of tomatoes that have all sprouted successfully. The seeds for 2 of the varieties were purchased in 1991. These are open pollenated varieties that are sold in packets containing a large number of seeds, unlike the hybrid seed packets. Even a packet of hybrid seeds should last several years if you have a small garden. To maximize the shelf life of seeds, they should be stored in a sealed bag in a freezer. Not all seeds will keep for 20 years in a freezer, but all will have an extended life span.

4. Raingirl

Raingirl Member

In Port Alberni, the local library has started a Seed Library: you check out packages of local seeds with your card and, hopefully, share back in the fall to put back into the bank. Free.
    I have sourced seeds from the bulk/organic food section of reputable health food stores with success.
    Multiplying onions are one of my faves and I grow vertical to utilize my space (keeps some veg off the soil away from slugs).
    Good Luck

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    perhaps I am repeating advice already provided here -
    1. many seeds last several years - I just sprouted some snow peas (edible pod peas) from a package i purchased several years ago (maybe 3 yrs ago) from Stokes.

2. share with neighbors - one seed pack goes a long way esp if summer squash etc (who needs 60 x 10lb zucchini?!) You start one type of summer veggie - and they start another - and trade.

3. Swiss Chard "Bright Lights" lasts all winter in sheltered spot near the beach here in greater VAncouver BC. I use garden scissors to snip off a few leaves at a time. So that seed packet has paid and re-paid many times over.

4. i noticed the other day in the nursery store that Pacific NW seed brand (from Vernon BC) are much less price than some of the same plant seed from another local brand. (check out the Gold Rush summer squash - you will see what I mean)

5. one good - popular - plant to trade (and pretty easy to seed) is basil - if you have the hot sunny garden (and your friend does not) - start some basil indoors in clean pot and soil. At the end of the season - before the nights are chilly - harvest the LEAVES - dry them or freeze them - and use them all winter. I'd do the same with cilantro - tho it can live all winter in a sheltered pot at the coast BC. Near the beach.

6. rhubarb - put in a nice plant - it will pay you back many times with little maintenance. Just has to be the right spot and with good feeding. (ie it needs to be fed) - walk around the older homes neighborhood and check out where the rhubarb is thriving.

7. potatoes - i would not use a car tire - tho people do - for residue reasons - however - they are easy to grow etc - lots of info avail.

8. garlic? I don't like garlic - however, a lot of people old timer gardeners at the coast plant it the autumn before the next summer harvest - there are some threads on this board about garlic.

9. old fruit trees? many people have old "purple plum" and apple trees - offer to pick the fruit before the bears and raccoons break the tree branches and make a poopy mess on their lawn.

post an update - i think you're off on a wonderful garden adventure.