Vegetable Garden - Maintenance and Planting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Anne58, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

At last we've had a few dry days on the West Coast and I finally got my potatoes in. Seems that I missed a few last fall and they are just poking through the ground.

Separated the clumps of leeks and replanted them singly in trenches for use later this spring. Did the same with some garlic that had been left in the ground to multiply (not trenched of course).

The onion sets put in about 1 week ago are just starting to poke through the ground - hopefully the crows will leave them alone this year since I planted them a little bit deeper to hide the dry tops which the crows seem curious about.

I also moved a couple of asparagas plants away from the pea bed they were creeping into. My gosh do those plants have strange root balls and big too!
    Hopefully I didn't damage them too much, no signs of spears when I dug them to move to hopefully they are still somewhat dormant.

The tomato seedlings have been out on the few sunny days we have had but still too cold to leave them out once the sun disappears (temps down to 1 degree over night).

2. AlexH

AlexH Active Member

There was snow in my lettuce containers yesterday morning! I don't think my rosemary has survived the winter either. :( Fortunately I took some cuttings and they've survived in the greenhouse.

3. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Pretty strange weather we are having here eh? My poor geraniums got frosted and although I didn't lose any of the plants, there were quite a few leaves that are history now.