Vancouver World Rose Festival 2009

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by vicarious1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    For those who have attended this Festival I would love to hear "YOUR" comments about the event that I found "VERY" disappointing especially for a 22$ entrance fee!

For those who saw it or not here are some of my photos t'd like to share

http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8632058_zNuF7#569512851_nfQDc

Here a few of my favorite shots I managed to take. I love the delicate mix of cream and peach of the flowers called "Chihuly" and "Brass Band" and montages from Florists

If you have taken photos it would lovely to see some of your favorite also.
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Perhaps you could describe what you thought was not done well, the next event organizers may take the advice.

I was there volunteering in a booth for saturday evening, it was fairly quiet attendance wise. I did a brief run around to chat with some colleagues and check on the picnic tables I had put together for the childrens area. I think the venue itself dwarfed the displays and booths, very different than the canada place convention center.

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello. Thank you so much for posting a reply. I could make a whole design on paper. Explaining it writing. I will lay out a few of the basics. Obviously such an event attracts MANY flower loving photographers. Beside the beauty that rests in the eye of the beholder for each bloom and montage it was the proximity of all the displays that made it quite unpleasant in several ways.
    -Most tables were too narrow ( where ever I stood I would have as back ground the multitude of colors and clothing from visitors standing across looking at the flowers standing across the table. Assuming I wanted to take a shot of more than one bloom in an presentation it was nearly impossible to do so without havinging the sourrounding ones in the same picture.
    -Displaying roses standing on white paper makes it very reflective surrounding from the wrong side. If I may say one would have appreciated a more than just subtle lighting coming from above.
    - The organizers (either could have provided a simple fabric division along the center of the tables OF offer each participant a choice of say dark, light, medium background for their rose display or even ask them to bring their display in a basic light box ( that can be a near to zero cost cardboard box) covered in inside in a color of their choice best matched to their bloom and say making the OUTSIDE standard to all around white or black or covered in recycled flower magazine pictures for example.
    Take THIS pictures for example http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8632058_zNuF7#569695749_JF8ts-A-LB
    how much of the finesse and detail is lost of this arrangement due to the background that is just whats happening around. I recall this one as a lady was trying to take a picture and complained about it also as she wanted to paint this arrangement that she loved and voiced her opinion to me and I could not agree less.
    Take the finesse and beauty of this arrangement
    http://visualsenses.smugmug.com/gallery/8632058_zNuF7#569561353_veqwM
    and imagine it in front of a rich velvet/jersey/taffeta and not a transparent polyester "voile" like draping in white in front of all the "pied d'estale" that are also white.
    I think the very "general & average" lighting was a major let down.. One could have teamed up with a lighting company displaying beautiful chandeliers from classic to ultra modern. They would have liked the exposure and the results could have been absolutely divine.
    Lucky you had the opportunity to volunteer. I would appreciate the same, I could add my creativity to such an event one day even on a volunteer base as Design is my whole career, but do not have the connection as I am new in town. How do you go about it?
    www.visualsenses.com is what I do if you don't mind me making a link to it. I looked at your webpage also...we are the same area I see. I am still discovering the joys of gardening "A la Canadienne" compared to South Africa. it sure is a different ballpark , the soil, the weather the seasons etc.. coming from a 22.000sq feet garden that was a manicured jungle. as you can see in some of my other post like "post a pic of yourself " a thread by the Hollyberry lady.
    Thanks for your time. Have a great day.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009