Van cherry trees are brown!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by John Brooks, Jun 17, 2017.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks New Member

Hello. Totally new to this. So I have a Bing and Rainer cherry tree, newly planted that are thriving, yet the two van cherry trees have only little brown dead leaves. I'm in Amarillo tx, and we are having a heatwave as of last month. Any ideas? I simply want the trees safe!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If they only have little brown dead leaves, it sounds like they are dead. You can use your thumbnail to scrape a twig and see if any green tissue is underneath the bark, but this isn't sounding positive. Do you have a photograph?

3. John Brooks

John Brooks New Member

They aren't dead. The tree is quite flexible and has a green tent when I scrape it. I honest to god think it's just a touch of heat shock from being transplanted a bit late. They were put in the ground a few weeks ago but the weather here in Texas has been quite brutal. Even a cactus got a sunburn.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ok, keep your fingers crossed. Since the plants aren't losing water through their leaves, don't overwater--much harder to tell what might be the right amount when you don't have leaves to look at as a guide!

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Also try to erect some shade cloth to protect them from the worst of the sun in the middle of the day.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.