British Columbia: Valencia Peanuts Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Raingirl, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Raingirl

Raingirl Member

Has anyone tried to grow Peanuts on Vancouver Island? We have clay soil in our valley (Port Alberni) but my garden is at a higher elevation next to the original forest. It can reach up to 41 (some odd) degrees in the summer.
    Does anyone have any instructions or feedback on my husband favourite sports watching food?
    Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Peanuts have been tried in Seattle.

Peanuts need warmth. The soil generally preferred is looser, more sandy, and well drained. Low, soggy, soil, is worst. In summer, regular watering is needed from rain or people. I am planting mine in a specially prepared garden bed, where I dug the soil to a depth of 2 feet, removed over 600 pounds of rocks and roots, added fertilizer, lime and compost. It was time consuming and difficult.

http://www.arthurleej.com/p-o-m-May12.html

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for the link, Ron. I think we are going to be attempting peanuts here in our Food Garden this year.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I tried peanuts years ago and had no luck in Burnaby. I think that they need warm nights to do well; so keeping them under plastic might work. Of course they will need to be uncovered during pollination.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    we've tried them in a very sunny garden - great soil - well drained - near Vancouver BC.

it was a for-sure crop failure.

i think there were some "nuts" (you have to dig like potatoes) ---- then dry (you don't want any mold for sure) etc.

6. David114

David114 New Member

I think the only place to grow them as a crop in Canada is the extreme SW Ontario. There are perhaps 10 mid size producers of Ontario grown grow some tasty ones. Mostly due to to daytime heat as well as overnight lows (and overall corn heat units required) and sandy soil.

Most of Canada is simply too cold during evenings even in summer. Same with tobacco and tomatoes. I believe 99.5% of Canadas field tomato production is in SW Ontario as well for the same reason.
    Soil must be well drained. I know I tried and failed as the area around us had some flooding issues.
    I imagine parts of the Okanagan might be able to if the night time lows cooperated.

7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    that makes sense — i think the peanuts we tried YEARS ago were from Stokes in St Catherines ONtario