Uzen Nishiki vs Shojo no mai vs Orido Nishiki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by acernoob, Jun 13, 2022.

1. acernoob

acernoob Member

I'm a maple noob here. Can someone help me to understand the differences between the variegated maples? Which one would you recommend the most?

Thank you,

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @acernoob, there are quite a few variegated cultivars, so it depends on what variegation colours you want. Pink and white, Oridono nishiki is excellent. Green and white, Ukigumo is wonderful for a shady position. Orange and green, Goshiki shidare, or Toyama nishiki, both dissected varieties. (probably the same tbh). Purple and pink, then Rainbow is very nice or Hana Matoi ( dissectum again), is amazing given time.
    Green , pink and orange, then Beni shichihenge is lovely as is Marlo which is similar, but has a more red variegation and not orange.
    The last I must add is Butterfly, green and white and a strong cultivar with small palmate leaves that have the appearance of little butterflies. Wouldn't be without it in my garden. So that's a few to think about from me.

Hope that's of help

Just to add, the thing with variegated cultivars is that they will try and revert to plain coloured leaves, so they have to be removed when seen. They do take sime work......

Rich and acernoob like this.
  3. acernoob

acernoob Member

Thank you so much for your knowledge.

Since you mentioned about removing reverted branches, I have an Ukigumo for a month now. Today, I started noticing that some new branches have new leaves that are so different from other Ukigumo. Do you recommend me to remove these branches?
    PXL_20220614_010923445.jpg

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @acernoob.That looks like it’s coming form below the graft, so should be removed now. Looks very much like green Acer palmatum rootstock.

Even if it's not below the graft then I would remove to stop reversion.

acernoob likes this.