Using chemical preservatives in gardens...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Seamus, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I coated a boarder for a raised bed that I had recently built in a kind of chemical preservative simply called "green". It's a lot like wolmanizing chemical. I think that I might have left my brain behind that day and now I'm a bit worried about keeping the timbers there. Will any of the chemicals leech out of the wood and into my soil - into my vegetables?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Possibly.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

Did I miss read this....what does that mean? The 'paint on' wood preservatives usually have salts of copper or zinc that protect against fungal damage but not usually insect damage. Some leaching will occur...try lining the wood with plastic before filling up the bed.

Don't use pressure treated lumber however unless you install a plastic barrier....the old PTL uses arsenic & targets the nervous system in really tiny concentrations. The new PTL uses copper compounds that still demand some respect.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spelled wolman.

5. Seamus

Seamus Active Member

I decided to pull the wood and I'm going to use it to plant flowers or something like that instead. Thanks for the help guys.