User Titles Updated

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

User titles have been updated to better reflect user groups. Gone are seedling, climber, and (the contentious) plant expert. Plant enthusiast has been changed to be the highest level of user title.

• Registered (1-2 posts)
    • Registered Plus (3-29 posts + 2+ days registered)
    • Contributor (30-99 posts + 20+ days registered)
    • Generous Contributor (100+ posts)
    • Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

(and for reference, user groups)

Note that if you are a Contributor, Generous Contributor or Plant Enthusiast, you can change your user title to something custom (as some have already done - these have been left intact or updated to reflect the new user titles)

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

So I'm no longer someone who isn't a pert any more!

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Oh, I only had 500+ wrong answers left till I was concidered an expert. The disappointment is huge.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Don't worry, Carol. I already consider you an expert in wrong answers (just kidding, of course).

5. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, the problem does remain that number of posts does not really signal expertise. They could all be idiotic or useless comments. Alternatively, someone new to the forums might have some serious expertise to offer. Is there a solid reason for having any designations at all?

6. Daniel Mosquin

I was hoping that I removed any implication of expertise out of the equation, instead promoting contribution to the forums.

As for the why... well, if you've the time, I'll direct you to Clay Shirky's A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy. Reading the whole essay helps give context to the parts that are most relevant as an answer, "Three Things to Accept" (particularly 2 and 3) and "Four Things to Design For" (particularly 2, 3 and 4).

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Or perhaps you could use an icon. Maybe a mouth, that gets bigger the more posts that have been made. Of course, some might find that insulting...

8. Linda P

Linda P Member

On the subject of icons - how about a plant - beginners start out as seeds, then comes stems, leaves and flowers (or trees). Maybe there could be a couple of different plants so someone can be a flower, another can be a tree, someone else can be a tomato and maybe there can be a mushroom.

Just a thought, seeing as we are all talking about plants.

9. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Owch, Hee hee.

10. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Daniel, Very interesting essay by Clay Shirky. I can see the dynamics on other sites as well and it rings true to the sites with the greatest cohesiveness among it's members. By the way, I don't care what I'm labeled, we're all the same. I don't care if someone has posted 1000 times as opposed to once. It's the subtle things I pick up on and remember. Deb

11. Daniel Mosquin

An interesting thought, but two knocks against it are 1) confusion with avatars (the pics already associated with some people's usernames and 2) load time (though this is a minimal concern, since the icons would eventually find their way into browser caches)

I suppose a third knock is me finding the time!

12. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't think any fuss should be made over it. I rarely pay any notice to them.
    Cheers, LPN (Barrie)

13. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'll second Deb's impression of the article; it is fabulous and in fact ties in to some other work I'm doing so thank you for posting it. I will now lapse into chastised silence on the topic of user designations :-)

14. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I agree with doing away with the title Plant Expert, although there are a number who are clearly experts (Oh Great Ones!).

Does it matter if we know how many posts a user has contributed? I say it does. Someone who has posted 4000 replies clearly has put in time and effort to contribute hugely to the site and should be recognised. Someone who has less than 10 posts, whether he/she is a plant expert or not, is still a newbie on the site. It would alert me to be extra welcoming to them in the hope that they will remain long term contributors to the site.

So, ideally, the monikers should:
    1. alert us to those that are new to the site
    2. acknowledge those who have contributed greatly to the site.
    3. make no references to intellectual "superiority"

(Oooops! Got to go! More later.)

15. Robert Flogaus-Faust

Robert Flogaus-Faust Active Member 10 Years

I just posted my 100th contribution to UBC Botanical Garden forums and I found that I was still a contributor and obviously far from generous. ;-) Well, may be this 101th post will do the trick. Anyway I suppose that there might be a bug (wrong calculation?)

16. Daniel Mosquin

The script for promotions to different usergroups runs once an hour. Wait 18 more minutes, I believe.

17. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That was posted 29 minutes ago, and he's still just 'Contributor'!

18. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, for some reason Robert's usertitle was set as a "Custom User Title, User Set", so the promotion script wouldn't touch it. I changed it to "Default User Title" and it was corrected immediately.

19. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

Which all goes to show how much work being a web host is. Thank you Daniel for all of your efforts.