Urgent! My chilli leaves are falling

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by M&J, Jun 12, 2006.

1. M&J

M&J Member

Hi!

My chilli's leaves are falling a lot (about 15-20% in two days), and some leaves are hanging. The fallen leaves have a normal look, and the hanging ones look dead, as if they were cut for 24 hours.

Please help me!

The last time I watered, I added some fertilizer and some vineagre (1tbs/lt water), and this was 3 days ago.

As a contingency measure I tried to wash the pot's land, and watered it with 5 liters of water.

Please refer to http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14659 for a better understanding of the plant's conditions.

Thanks
    M&J

2. M&J

M&J Member

Well... 24h passed since the previous message and my plant is completely withered, dying. It started bellow but by now even the upper leaves are hanging. :(((((

I'm so frustrated, so sad!
    I killed it by overcaring...

That vineagre thing was because I read that chilli plants like acid soil... but the plant was perfectly healthy before...

Maibe the problem was the fertilizer. As it is in a pot, probably it would have been wise to fertilize less than suggested...

I still feel some live in it. For example: the 3 little fruits that were starting to grow are still pointing up, so I think the plant is using the remnant live in it to try to keep the fruits.

If you are familiar with these descriptions please help me to understand what happened to my chilli, even if it is not soon enough to save it...

Cumps
    M&J

3. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

M&J,

Do you have a way you check the PH?? Might have lowered the PH too much with the vinegar..
    I am soo sorry your plants are doing so poorly.. I have not tried the vinegar with the plants I have.. I have only fert 2 times since planting mine 2 months or so ago.
    I think I am going to skip the vinegar as the fert I use is already for acid loving plants. I use Rhododendron Azalea plant food.

Good luck!!! Hope the rinse of the roots does it some good..
    Gina *BabyBlue*

4. M&J

M&J Member

Well... Thanks for your interest, BabyBlue11371.

My chilli plant died. As it was dying I cut some branches and they are dry, yellow and hollow. My only hope is that it may "re-born" from its base, wich is the only green part now.

I have no way to test the PH...

Maybe I fertilized too much.

I don't have experience with this plant, and I tend to experiment everything that I read... my mistake! If I wasn't so anxious it would be beatifull now. It already had some little fruits growing... :(

So, maybe my bad experience might be usefull to somebody. We must remember that what we do in a pot has a big impact on the plant. We must be more moderate than if it was on the ground outside...

Anyway... I already seeded more chilli peppers (from some dried whole chillis I bought for cooking - I hope they didn't use an oven to dry it :)).

And I still have 2 beatifull safi chilli plants. Its 2nd flower blossomed this morning and I'm manually polinizing them at the end of this afternoon.

Maybe it goes better this time...

Cumps
    M&J

5. BabyBlue11371

BabyBlue11371 Active Member

Sorry I could not be more help.. Yellowing branches does sound like PH was Lowered too much from what I have read.. most problems turn the branches black or dark brown.. It is difficult to lower PH when you don't know how bad or if the Ph is not right..
    Do you have access to Fert that is for acid loving plants?? it is probably better for a plant than vinegar.. If you can find one that is lower in N that would be best.. the higher N will cause more leaf growth and less blooms..

Good luck with your seeds and other plants..

Gina *BabyBlue*

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://xrl.us/n9sa

http://xrl.us/n9sa

One of my four chilli peppers. I give this plant a shot of vinegar about one cup in a liter of water now and then to give an instant Ph somewhat acedic. Trial and error, I admit, but people were growing peppers long before Ph was even known. For a small garden this is sufficient. I just keep it healthy looking. Notice the fruiting bodies. No fertilizer just the compost mixed in the new bed. The bed is for a black current bush, but there was extra space so I planted two peppers along the edge. I add a support due to strong winds that appear now and then.
    Durgan.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  7. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years