Upright Red Japanese Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by james vee, Jun 3, 2021.

1. james vee

james vee New Member

Wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation. I’m looking for an upright red Japanese maple. I have a great location in my landscape but I do have size constraints.

The location is east facing and receives morning some and some afternoon sun as well. I am in a suburb of Cleveland, zone 6a. As i said, I am limited in space. Ideally, this maple would be a maximum of 8-12’ tall maple with a fully developed width of around 8-10’.

I am looking for a deeper red color, brick red or more along the purple red spectrum as opposed to any orange/red trees. I would also like to find something more open and tree like in form as opposed to a bush like tree.

I am considering a few options but would really like to hear from any of you with your wealth of knowledge- can you of any examples that meet this criteria?

I’m currently considering “English Lace” and “Italy Red” - this is assuming I could even find one. I currently only see very small 1 or 2 gallon English lace trees available to ship and I only see the “popular” trees at my local nurseries.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions that fit these requirements?

Thank you so very much in advance.
    James

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon James and welcome to the maples forum. Having seen your two thoughts in either Italy Red or English Lace. I would go for the Italy Red (synonym) or 'Red Flash' as it is nown as the cultivar name.
    This is a beautiful upright tree that withstands almost anything the weather can throw at it. I've had mine for 30 years now and it never gives me a problem, other than in extreme heat it can get browning to the tips of some lobes.
    I also have English lace, and it is lovely but it is definatly not an upright grower. The spread is as much as it's height.
    The other one I would suggest as you are in zone 6a is Emperor 1. This leafs out a lot later than others and so avoids any late Spring frosts. This year excluded, Lol.
    Both Emperor 1 and Red Flash planted to get a good amount of sun will both hold their reds very well throughout the Summer. Both of mine do.
    So those are my thoughts and suggestions, hope it is of help.

D

3. james vee

james vee New Member

Thank you so very much for the reply! I just have a follow up question regarding the size of these beautiful trees. I was under the impression that Emperor 1 will grow to a size that far exceeds my size parameters. I’m really hoping to find an upright red that will be no more than 8-10’ wide and 10-12’ high. Emperor 1 will be larger than this no? Please let me know if I am mistaken.

I am also very curious to know that size of your 30 year old Italy Red. Just wondering if it too might outgrow the space I’m looking to fill. A picture of your beautiful tree would be so very appreciated if at all possible.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi again James, the beauty of deciduous trees is that you can prune them to what ever size you want. My Red Flash I keep at around 10ft in height. It is pruned every March and again in June. This keeps it under control and the size I want for my garden. Yes of course, if you let them do their own thing then you can get massive trees. But most of us do have size constraints to work by, so aesthetic pruning is there for this reason.
    So do remember, nothing will outgrow a position if you don't want it to.
    Hope this helps.
    Red Flash 240.JPG