unusual spores on plant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Alisa, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Alisa

Alisa New Member

Just discovered these on my plant this morning. This plant grows in my screened in patio in South Florida. The spore seems to have a long pod attached. Not sure if these are bugs or seeds but the leaves under them seem to be dead now. Can anyone identify and provide remedy? Thanks, Alisa

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a normal seed pod which has ripened and opened to release the seeds - the seeds have the white 'fluff' parachute to help them blow in the wind. Remedy: none needed; the fact that it is fruiting shows it is happy :-)

3. Alisa

Alisa New Member

Michael, thanks for your reply. These spores attached to my desert rose plant and promptly killed the leaves. I dont have any plants that seed in this manner in my screened in patio. They may have blown in when the door was open but it just seems weird that they all attached in a cluster. I cut off that top portion of the branch and hope that solved the problem.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The botanical name for desert rose is Adenium obesum. Here is a time-lapse video of the seed pods opening on an Adenium.