Identification: unusual pine tree

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by LemonTart, May 21, 2014.

1. LemonTart

LemonTart Member

I just bought this small pine (?) tree off Craigslist. The seller couldn't remember what it was, just that it might be some kind of japanese pine. It's about 10 years old and perhaps 7' tall. Sorry about the photos, they're a bit confusing to look at. The tree has badly outgrown it's pot, with roots hanging out the bottom, so it wont stand upright. It's leaning on a large pot of mostly-dead euphorbia.

The trunk leans quite a bit to one side, and the branches are mostly horizontal. It's quite a striking little tree. As you can see in the pics, the needles are in tufts except for the newest growth on which the needles cover the twigs. The needles are green on one side and blueish on the other, about 1" long, and are in clusters of 4 or 5.

I intend to plant it in the ground, but would like to choose the best location for it. Wondering if it's going to become a large tree once it's out of it's pot, the future size will determine where it goes in the garden.

Thanks for the help!!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Liable to be a Pinus parviflora cultivar.

3. LemonTart

LemonTart Member

Thanks Ron B. I had looked at photos of the Japanese white & black pines but wasn't sure.

Is there any way to know how large this tree might get? After being so root bound in it's pot for 10 years, will it be permanently stunted - or might it really want to stretch out once it has the opportunity? I'm going to do my best to loosen the roots & then plant it in the ground. I'm a little nervous that it's going to go crazy once it has space to grow roots.

I'd guess if it's a cultivar than it's likely a smaller tree than the species, but again I really don't know.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to a Pinus parviflora cultivar (though why Ron considers that a liability is beyond me!).