Unusual hosta

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by jamkh, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

5 years ago I dabbled into hybridization out of curiosity as I was intrigued by the genetic diversity in hybrid seeds. I chose hosta as they are easy to look after and their leaf variegation is interesting. Out of about 100 seedlings grown, one came out that is genetically different. In its 4Th year, it sends out the inflorescence stalk as its first growth. When the flower buds are just opening, then the leaves appear. Initially I suspected that the plant had just got itself confused in its order of growth. But when it happened again this spring then I realized I had created a genetically different hosta hybrid. I should have taken a snap shot of this plant but shall definitely do it come next spring. This morning I ventured to check out the plant to trace any telltale signs of this peculiar behavior. I washed out the soil from around its base and saw the leaves belong to the two eyelets of the mother plant.
    Thus it can be deduced from this observation that the plant grows like any normal hosta but is different in that the flowers' appearance is delayed until the following spring. Next spring will tell whether this feature is permanent, thus making this plant unique. Another interesting point is this hosta appears to be hardier than the rest as after 3 nights of hard frost it still retains some recognizable leaves even this late in the autumn. Maybe the reason this hardiness persists because the leaves appear about 3 weeks later than her siblings. Also this plant is very slow growing as I had only 2 plants in 5 years, where as her siblings have like 6 to 10 plants per seedling. I believe if I had many eyelets in a large clump, it would look rather attractive to have a clump of stalks sticking out and devoid of leaves.
    I wonder if anyone has had such an encounter with hosta or any other specie of plants. Of course cetain plants like plum, cercie and the dogwood Cornellian Cherry do exhibit this characteristic. Would any of you be interested in growing this peculiar hosta, if it is available in the market?

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I can't say whether I'd buy it but I might depending on what it looks like, but have you read up much on hosta hybridizing to find out if this is really a unique feature? Also, there is a process for getting a new hosta hybrid registered via the American Hosta Society I think... some resources on the internet that might help you assess your find are the hosta forum on Garden Web, and the Hosta Library site. A lot of the hosta forum people do hybridize their hostas, so might have run into or be able to explain your phenomenon. One thing you should check is whether the apparent extra hardiness might have to do with a warmer microclimate where it grows in your yard.

3. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Karina, thank you.
    I understand more the virtue of being generous. With regards to the extra hardiness, it is not due to any microclimate being developed as the other hosta beside it have all lost their leaves by this time. I didn't pay any attention to its perculiarity until a friend suggested that I look into the commercial value of such a unique hosta. Anyway I am still pretty skeptical on taking such a course.