Unruly Eucalyptus Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Anne Taylor, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I have a really wonderful snow gum. Put it in 4 years ago on the top of a bank in my back yard. Unfortunately it leaned to the left a lot , so in the winter rain I cinched it up to the right. We had a good wind storm. by spring it was really off to the right. Next winter when the ground was soft I propped it up to the left (again). I have now found that that tree is exacting it's revenge by leaning way.... over and growing nicely as a curtain about face height. Any suggestions?
    I'm not thrilled about cutting and slashing, and I'd like to avoid propping with timbers but i've not grown Eucalyptus to this stage before and I'm wondering how much fiddling they can take.The trunk is about 10-12 cm caliper and getting that georgous tan and grey.
    Knowing these trees are not known for being uniform tidy growth trees, I'm happy to have a 'unique look' but I need to have it out of the way of traffic and other plants.
    Anyone out they had any experience?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

The trouble might lie in the fact when you said, "Next winter when the ground was soft". Soft soil won't work for Eucalyptus. Wind will lay them over. They do quite well in rocky type areas, and won't uproot when they anchor down into the rock.
    They are one of the laziest trees and will rely on any help you give them. Advise for new plantings ... never stake a Eucalyptus.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd recommend coppicing it. Cut it down to a stump, and the new re-growth will be much more erect and less liable to lean over. Coppicing is very commonly advised for new young Eucalyptus (particularly if pot-grown before planting out) as their root growth very often doesn't keep up with stem growth, leaving them top-heavy.

4. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

Well wonderful! Coppicing it was something I had considered, but was a little reluctant. Now that I see what you are saying about root vs. top growth,- it all fits.
    I have two more of these beauties and I'm going to be a little more involved with their growth. Gosh they are nice trees!
    Thanks Michael and LPN, - I'll get on with it now, and plant future ones in rockier spots.