unknown purple flowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by mristre, Jun 12, 2004.

1. mristre

mristre Member

This was growing in the flower bed when I purchased the house and my wife and I have not been able to identify the plant. It grows very quickly and we cut it back often. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. CcDry

CcDry Active Member

evergreen?

does it need support?

wet or dry fruit/seed? muliple seeds per fruit? capsule?

i was hoping some of the other forum users would recognize your plant from the photo, because with those showy flowers, it looks like a 'desirable' cultivar.

3. mristre

mristre Member

Yes, it is evergreen.

My wife says it frequently needs support, but she tends to cut it back as the stems tend to flop over.

Neither of us can answer you question regarding seeds. If you can give us a hint we'll go look at the plant.

4. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

It certainly is a beautiful plant. To me it looks like it has a lot of very vinca-like attributes, especially the shape and form of the flowers and flower buds. I have never seen one with that growth habit or with leaves that delicate though.

5. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

The plant is probablyDuranta erecta 'Sapphire Showers'. See this page from the University of Georgia Trial Garden.

A member of the vervain family (Verbenaceae), the species is native from Florida to Brazil. It is known as the forget-me-not tree because its flowers are reminiscent of forget-me-nots (Myosotis spp.). The flowers are followed by small, poisonous (!) orange fruits, which give the plant its other common names, golden dewdrops and pidgeon berry. The species is now naturalized in some of the southern United States and is considered an invasive on many tropical islands including Hawaii. See this link to the USDA Natural resources Conservation service.

You don't mention fruit forming on your plant--is this because you cut off the old flower stalks, or does it just not produce them? This is an important issue, considering its invasive potential. Nice picture!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  6. CcDry

CcDry Active Member