Unknown plants - ID needed

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Daniel Mosquin, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hello,

I am trying to identify the flowers and/or plants in the following 2 images. Any
    assistance you can provide in identifying them will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to your response.

First image: the orange-flowered vine in the background.

Attached Files:

• 1-.jpg
      1-.jpg
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Second image:

The leafy bush behind the tree in the centre of the image and the light-green shrub in the bottom right-hand.

Attached Files:

• 2-.jpg
      2-.jpg
      File size:
      72.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Daniel Mosquin

I should also mention that the leafy bush in the second picture has red buds.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

plant identification

The first picture looks like Thunbergia alata, an annual vine called black-eyed Susan. It is popular in warmer places and can be extremely vigorous.

I'm afraid that without a bit more information (like, what part of the world and in what season the pictures were taken) it is very difficult to identify the plants in the second picture (as it is a bit fuzzy). The unknown foreground plant looks like it might be Euphorbia characias. As for the darker shrub in the background, it is very difficult to make out (in what way does it suggest a fuchsia to you?).

Don't get us wrong, we're keen to identify these plants, but we could use more clues

5. thank you.

Thank you for your reply. To answer your question regarding location of images.....the first images (of orange-flowered vine) I believe is in Hawaii and unfortunately I do not know the location of the second image. Hopefully this helps a bit.

many thanks,
    Zahra Haji