Unknown plants growing on boulder in Langford, near Vi

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Renew, May 5, 2015.

1. Renew

Renew Active Member 10 Years

I would like to know the following plants whether they are native or weeds. There are 7 plants so I will open another thread.

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. pathe

pathe Active Member

Making a positive ID of Apiaceae species from photos alone for 1 and 2 can be tricky, especially for young plants. Always want to rule out Conium maculatum (Poison Hemlock). Photo 1 doesn't look like Poison Hemlock, but 2 resembles it, but it may be something else. What do the crushed leaves smell like? Are there hairs on the stems? Are the stems hollow or solid? Poison Hemlock can be easily ruled out from its hairless stems and mousey, stinky odor. Photo 2 looks like it may be flowering, usually don't see that for Poison Hemlock so early and at that stage. Photo 2 also looks like Sweet Cicely (Osmorhiza), but it's not Native to the Western areas of North America AFAIK. Are the photos from Virgina or BC (there is a Langley, Va)? Fool's Parsley is not out of the question for photo 1, an invasive that is more established in Eastern North America. Photo 2 also looks like Wild Chervil, but I don't think it ever has red stems. Maybe a related species?

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  4. Renew

I have been looking through the E-Flora BC site and came across Anthricus caucalis, which looks very similar to #1 & 2. The 2 photos are the same plant, located near Victoria, BC. Doing a google search on Anthricus caucalis some of the photos show the plants with red stems, also it is stated that it has been introduced to the West Coast of the United States. I am sorry the photo of the flowers are so indistinct, my memory is mainly of very few flowers which the Anthricus caucalis also seems to have especially compared to some photos on the E-Flora site.

5. Renew

Thank you to Silver Surfer, yes # 3 and 4 do look like Lamium purpureum. Seems (from the other posts) that there are a few native plants on the rocks and some that are worth weeding out, plus all the grass.....

6. pathe

pathe Active Member

Good work. Didn't realize 1 and 2 were the same. They look like different plants from the photos. I think you are right, photo 2 does look like Antricus caucalis. To me, photo 1 doesn't.

From what I can see in the photo, the flowers are bit unusual, that is why I was thinking Sweet Cicely, even though the leaf structure was not the same. Very interesting, didn't know about Antricus caucalis before. Don't have that in my location; at least not yet. Also got thrown off by Langley, Vi. Thought you might have traveled to Langley, VA and didn't realize you meant Vancouver Island.