Unknown Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Phil Hannigan, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Phil Hannigan

Phil Hannigan Member

We live in Southwest Florida.
    A lot of green leafy things grow around here.
    A plant in our back yard has been normal for over 7 years .. Just green leaves. Suddenly, about a month ago, it started growing a center stalk. The stalk is now about 10 feet high and is starting to sprout little branches that look like pre-flowers. See the attached photos.
    Questions: Can anyone identify this plant?
    Is there something we should do to help this plant successfully complete whatever cycle it is in?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Attached Files:

• It.gif
      It.gif
      File size:
      252.9 KB
      Views:
    • It.jpg
      It.jpg
      File size:
      55.8 KB
      Views:
    • It 1.jpg
      It 1.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
    • It 2.jpg
      It 2.jpg
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • It 3.jpg
      It 3.jpg
      File size:
      55.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Your plant looks very much like Agave angustifolia 'Marginata' (variegated narrow-leaf agave). Agaves are monocarpic perennials; that is, they persist for many years, then die immediately following flowering. The flower stalk your plant is producing will develop thousands of bird-pollinated flowers, and if successfully pollinated, will produce seeds. The flower stalks of agaves also frequently produce new vegetative offsets (new plants, identical to the parent plant). These offsets will produce roots (often while still attached to the stalk) and can be planted directly or left until the stalk breaks down.

Good luck!

3. Phil Hannigan

Phil Hannigan Member

Thank You

Dear Mr. Justice,
    I thank you sincerely for taking the time to help. I can see why this poor fellow will die since it is putting so much energy into building this enormous stalk. I was afraid we had Jack's Bean Stalk growing out there. I will be on the lookout for offsets and/or seeds.
    Best wishes to you and yours,
    Phil Hannigan