unknown conifer branch

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by gfixler, Jul 7, 2009.

1. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

I found this branch cut down in the neighborhood, so I don't have access to the original tree. I'm hoping to get a positive ID anyway. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A Cedrus. Himalayan cedar is prevalent in parts of the LA area.

3. gfixler

gfixler Active Member

Thanks, Ron. It's definitely a cedar. I've long thought a completely different looking thing was a cedar. Now I'm thinking what I've thought were cedars are actually some form of juniper or cypress. I'll have to dig into those later.

After a few hours of research, I'm leaning toward a C. libani (Cedar of Lebanon) over a C. deodara, which seem the two main (only?) species, though C. libani is often broken into 4 varieties that many taxonomists call species. C. libani is said to have darker leaves, and my sample's leaves are pretty dark. Pages like this make my head spin with the number and variety of cultivars, all of which seem pretty unique looking.

Anyway, thanks very much! Narrowing this down from 'all conifers' to 'just the cedars' is a huge help.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd go for Cedrus libani too; the needles look a bit on the short side for C. deodara.