unknown cedar tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by druther, Feb 20, 2002.

1. druther

druther Member

As a botanical novice, I would describe this tree as a "weeping cedar". I used to think these trees were a type of ornamental because previously I always noticed them in landscaping around housing developments. However, I recently saw large numbers of them growing wild near the north end of Stave Lake. Can anyone tell me what kind it is?

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

cedar tree identification

The tree pictured is probably a weeping Nootka false cyress (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula'). This species is also known as Nootka cypress, yellow cedar, Alaska cedar, etc. It could also be a weeping Lawson false cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Intertexta'), but this is less likely. The former is a very common landscape plant around the Lower Mainland and is somewhat variable with respect to branch density and severity of weeping. Nootka false cypress (weeping or non-weeping forms) are easily recognized by their rounded cones (8 - 12 mm in diameter), but more so by the pungent smell of the foliage. Each of the Nootka's 4 to 6 cone scales has a soft prickle. The Lawson has a smaller cone (5 - 7 mm in diameter), with small bumps instead of obvious prickles on its cone scales.

However, the trees mentioned at the north end of Stave Lake are more likely western red cedar (Thuja plicata). This species has curtain-like foliage that hangs from very broadly sweeping boughs. Its cones are are more top-shaped with overlapping scales. The foliage smells sweet and somewhat pineapple-y, but must normally be crushed to emit this odour.