uninvited guests in compost

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by roodles, Jun 28, 2009.

1. roodles

roodles Member

It's a horror to open my composter and see an undulating mass. I have hundreds of worm-like creatures living there. They are segmented, are of a dark color and move like catepillars. They also are rounded on their backs and flattened on the belly. I've been careful to add only accepted ingredients like kitchen scraps from peelings, paper napkins, leaves etc, and have avoided unwanted items such as grease, meats etc. They are strong enough to survive outside temperatures of nearly 100 degrees. What am I doing wrong? HELP They are not pretty!

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Do post a photo. Have you thought of Centipedes? barb

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yeah, I thought of centipedes too---have known them to congregate in a seething mass. (ECCH!) But then I thought of sowbugs, since roodles mentioned 'rounded backs', and s.bugs, like centipedes, are segmented. Tough if not impossible w/out a photo...these critters could, in fact, be WORMS!

5. roodles

roodles Member

great info from you. The pic and discription was right on. Now...........what do I do about them? Shall I distribute the compost with them in it? Why did they come in the first place?

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member