Identification: Unhappy unidentified potted plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by phantasmagoria, Feb 5, 2005.

1. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Member

Unhealthy plant ID

Just had another thought, there is another plant that I would like to ID, but have had trouble. Possibly a Monstera deliciosa (I've heard my parents call it a swiss cheese plant.) It used to have very large leaves, maybe 8 inches diamater. Its health has been deteriorating over some time. It would be a great help if someone could ID it for me, so I could look up its proper care.

Attached Files:

2. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Member

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm not certain if your plant is a swiss cheese plant - Monstera oblique or possibly Monstera deliciosa.
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/monsteraobl.html

From looking at the brown edges of the leaves in your pictures, I notice that your plant appears to have been over watered. I'm not sure from the picture if I'm seeing sunscald or a nutritional deficiency called chlorosis. If that is yellow between the veins of the leaves, then it could be chlorosis, the cause of which could also be from overwatering. Take a look here to see what seems to fit.
    http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/focus/chlorosis.html

Also, how long has it been in the current pot? Maybe it needs to be repotted. I'm thinking it might actually need a smaller pot since there is so little topgrowth. A look a the root system should be helpful. Water when dry.

Newt

Newt

4. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Member

Thanks! All the info is greatly appriciated. I'll try watering it less, and move it to a sunnier place (currently quite shady.)

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

You are so very welome! I do hope the move and change of watering will help. :)

Newt