unhappy choisya

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by nichelle, Mar 23, 2017.

1. nichelle

nichelle Active Member 10 Years

My large, mature choisya has lost almost all its leaves, and I'm wondering if I should wait for new growth on the bare branches, cut it right back, or dig it up. The soil in that bed doesn't have the greatest drainage, but it has thrived in that location for years. Thanks for any advice!

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

All the Choisya in my neighbourhood (east Van) look like death warmed over this spring. It's been a VERY long time since we had such a cold winter, and Choisya isn't the most hardy shrub out there. I'd wait until it leafs out and then prune off the winter kill. If it doesn't leaf out when you think it should, take a dull knife and carefully scrape off a tiny bit of bark from a branch. If it's green underneath the plant is still alive. If you do this with twigs you may not get an accurate picture since they could have been winter killed.

If the poor thing is having trouble with all the recent rain, see what you can do to divert some of the runoff from around its roots for the short term. Good luck! I think all of us are struggling with the effects of the harsh weather.

3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Without photos its hard to see how bad they are and what to recommend

Where are you located? I have 3 good sized choisya 'Aztec Pearl' that came through this winter just fine and I'm in east Van too

4. nichelle

nichelle Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for your responses. I will wait and see if it leafs out.

I am in Kerrisdale area in Vancouver. I do have one Aztec Pearl choisya that came through the winter looking okay.

5. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

This was a good winter to show the bit of extra hardiness in the Aztec Pearl variety. Here in Langley the Aztec are pretty scorched where the sun was on the frozen foliage, but otherwise they will come thru fine. Standard choisya are either dead or looking like it here!