unhappy cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by mikeval, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mikeval

mikeval Member

This cactus (name?) was in great shape for many, many years. Last winter, fearing it had become too dry, I overwatered it. This spring we noticed this brown creeping up the cactus. 1. Is it from overwatering or something else? 2. Should we take a cutting up higher where it is healthier, and if so... 3. How do we propagate a cutting into a new baby cactus?

Hard to believe it was given to my wife just before we were married, 17 years ago...we'd like to save some of it. We have to do something anyway, because it now reaches our ceiling.

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

From the photos, it looks like an African Milk Tree (Euphorbia trigona) The brown could be from sunburn possibly, maybe drying out for too long, not sure.

I use to have this plant before giving it away and the cuttings rooted easily.

To start a new smaller plant, take a protruding smaller section, or arm of the sides or from up top if that's where the healthier ones are, cutting them off flush from the main stem, or larger branch. Cut off a section that's between 6"-7" or smaller if you wish, letting the cut end dry away from any sun before putting it in soil. It might take a few days, maybe even a week, but I don't think I ever waited a week for the end to dry on this plant because the cutting wasn't that large.
    Be very careful about getting the white sap on your hands, even though it's never bothered me, it's been known to cause a bad reaction such as, redness, burning and blistering on some people.
    You don't want that stuff anywhere near your eyes, so use gloves and wash your hands real good afterwords.
    Cuttings will bleed sap, so have a damp cloth, or damp paper towels ready to blot the wound, it should stop ''bleeding" rather quickly, also, you'll want to blot the main cactus where it was cut from as well.

Using a good draining cactus mix, small pot with drain holes. Plant the smaller end down far enough (about an inch or so) deep enough into the soil so it stands up on it's own without it wanting to fall over.
    Wait about a week while in the soil, then give it a good thorough watering. It should root within about ten days or so.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  3. mikeval

mikeval Member

Thank you for this, Bluewing. We'll try your cutting method. It may be excessive sunlight but that cactus has been in the same window, with the same exposure, for over three years and only suffered this brown scale this year.

4. mikeval

mikeval Member

We just repotted (finally) three cuttings (in three small pots with cactus soil), but we watered them. Did you mean we should wait, with dry soil, for a week, before any watering? Will that watering we just did with the freshly planted cuttings kill them or cause them to rot?

Many thanks for your previous reply, by the way.

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Hi mikeval,

Did you let the cut ends dry before planting them in soil?

If that's not done first, the cuttings are at risk of rotting.
    It is best to wait about a week in "dry soil" before watering. If you watered them already, you ''might" be able to get away with it if the soil is loose and airy, but, if you don't want to take that risk, you can always take the cuttings out of the wet soil and plant them over into dry for a week.

Anything you are rooting shouldn't be in direct sun, doing so can cook and kill the cuttings quick. There are no roots and the plants not really hydrated enough for high light/heat. It's better to keep them in bright indirect light until rooted, then move them closer and closer to direct sun gradually.

Good luck with your cuttings!