Understock for grafting

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dave Burns, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

I am relatively new to Japanese Maples. I find I am having good luck from cuttings of Acer Palmatum (plain old ***. Maples). The cuttings form heavy roots and seem very healthy. If I use these cuttings as an understock for grafts, will the roots be as strong as an understock from seeds?

Thanks!

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Dave Burns,

The rootstock will be fine. Most often people in the trade use seed grown material to get good rootstock because it is the most economical way to go. Sounds like you're having fun. Good Luck. Contact us any time, we'd be happy to help again.

3. No

No, the cutting based understock will not be as vigorous, thus your graft will not be as vigorous as one done on a seedling. Also, I don't agree with Hortline's statements. The nursery industry is aware that seedlings are FAR more vigorous, therefore the industry typically uses seedlings. By the way, any nursery worth his salt can root palmatums, but they spend 60 cents a piece for bareroot (much more than the cost of purchasing a rooted liner) so they can have a superior understock. Seedlings are actually more expensive than cuttings, but they are worth it.