UK supplier of genuine Acer palmatum 'Crippsii'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Nov 12, 2021.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

As per title, wondering if anyone knows of suppliers of the original cultivar 'Crippsii' - specifically the bronze red linearlobum form as described in the original literature and awarded the RHS AGM in 1903 after being introduced by Cripps' nursery? Also associated with Hillier and sons since 1914. I know it will be a long shot to find a supply that is not the imposter Okushimo-like (Okushimo-lite?) form of recent decades but if you don't ask you don't find.

Started a new thread rather than dig up old ones, but pictures and discussion in these threads from 8 years or so ago:
    Acer palmatum 'Crippsii'
    Acer palmatum 'Crippsii'
    Misnomer - NOT Acer palmatum 'Crippsii'

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I would try and contact Hillier. I've never seen it though, you might have to get scions and graft it yourself. The whole thing is certainly mired in confusion!

maf likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I asked the question of my friend who is the manager for the Royal Parks trees. He said they don't have it growing anywhere, but suggested contacting Westonbirt and Valley Gardens by email. Don't know if that helps, but it's an idea anyway.

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks @emery, all leads are much appreciated.

Westonbirt do not have it in their online database, so that looks like a blank.

Never heard of Valley Gardens, google suggests a public garden in Harrowgate but not sure if that is who your friend means?

Hillier - unfortunately the retail arm of Hillier has transformed into a chain of typical modern garden centres throughout the south of England, that likely make more profit from selling garden furniture and the usual tat than plants, so unlikely to be worth contacting. They still have a UK tree growing operation but for trade customers only.

I will try and make a trip next year to Hillier arboretum to see the known example (if it is still there) and enquire if it has been propagated etc. In the meantime this thread can stay here in case anyone has any more info or leads they wish to share.