UBC Garden in December, part 2

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Nadia White Rock, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Asian Garden
    The winners in this garden are Camellia brevistyla(flowers) and Hydrangea-Dichroa febrifuga(fruits)
    Camellia grijsii 1.JPG Hydrangea-Dichroa febrifuga6.JPG Hydrangea-Dichroa febrifuga9.JPG
    and other plants -Disporum cantoniense, Sorbus caloneura, Chimonanthus praecox 'Grandiflorus', Cotoneaster rhytidophyllus look gorgeous
    disporum cantoniense 0.JPG disporum cantoniense 1.JPG Sorbus caloneura 4.JPG Chimonanthus praecox Grandiflorus.JPG DSCN1453.JPG DSCN1455.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The plant came to us as Camellia grijsii, but it is not that. It has recently been identified as Camellia brevistyla.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The winter-sweet is a yellow form, usually in cultivation these have designations additional to the species name. Also you didn't indicate what the last two pictures show.

4. Nadia White Rock

Thank you, did changes

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The wintersweet came to us in 1979 as Chimonanthus praecox var. grandiflorus from Hillier & Sons. It is now recorded as Chimonanthus praecox 'Grandiflorus'. I'm not sure what the other two are. A Cotoneaster and ?

6. Nadia White Rock

in the old Database we have only one winter-sweet and it labeled Chimonanthus praecox. I think if somebody interested in more details they can find a label, this plant is just on the Upper Asian way(left side, before Moon Gate & Tunnel)
    I agree, in Japan, I saw Chimonanthus flowers looking different, more round and light yellow.
    Chimonanthus praecox1.JPG DSC09480.JPG
    I am not sure about the last two cotoneasters, didn't take pictures of labels, probably Cotoneaster rhytidophyllus and Cotoneaster glabratus.
    I promise when I go to UBCG in January I will add proper names, sorry

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A name used in western cultivation for a large, clear yellow form with no purple staining in the center is 'Luteus'.