UBC Botanical Garden Collections

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not a forums announcement per se, but this might perhaps be of interest to forum participants:

UBC Botanical Garden Plant Collections Data

The advanced search allows queries on scientific name, common name, families and accession numbers.

I must admit that the data are not as clean as they should be, but I think airing them in public is good incentive to improve. We are hampered by a rickety primary database, which I will be attempting to fully replace before the year ends.

I'm not likely to find the time to expand much on what is now available online until I come back to this project. However, comments on both this and what _you_ would like to see in a future database are always welcome.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The bug that prevented the data from being displayed in Internet Explorer 6 (and maybe earlier versions of IE) has been fixed.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Great!

4. Daniel Mosquin

It might've been better if someone had mentioned it to me! Ah well, I take it as a sign that more people are using Mozilla / Firefox.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

>We are hampered by a rickety primary database, which I will be attempting to fully replace before the year ends.<

I figured this was why I couldn't get it to work.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Ah, my apologies. I can see I didn't communicate clearly. The primary database that is rickety is the one that we use daily. Being a decade old, it doesn't have any web functionality whatsoever, and is only accessible from one PC.

What is available on the web is a (quick) export of data from the older database to one of the leading open source databases.

Anyway, if you are using IE and still can't see the data, hit the "F5" key on your keyboard to refresh the page, and it will appear.