type of orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by jhancock, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jhancock

jhancock Member

I have an orchid that I bought in December. It has a single, tall stem that had white flowers with purple centers. They began dropping off a month ago, one at a time, and the last one just fell off 4 days ago. What kind of orchid do I have, and how often does it bloom? I have no idea how to care for it or help it bloom again (when it's due to bloom). It has thick dark green leaves and is growing a new leaf. I live in FL, and I have it in the window of my bedroom, which is a sliding glass door to the balcony. It gets indirect light all day and a lot more light in the morning. It came with an instruction sheet that said to water it the same day every week, around the same time of day. But I have no idea how much water to give it or what kind or fertilizer to give it, or when, etc. It's doing really well, and I don't want to do something to kill or harm it. Can someone give me some tips and maybe a suggestion for a good book that isn't too exhaustive, as I am already a student with tons of reading to attend to each day. And I'd love to know what kind of orchid I have. Thanks so much!

Jannah

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

A picture would be really helpful in ID'ing it - orchids are fantastically variable, are care is different for each type. However, if you got it at, say, the supermarket, chances are it's a Phalaenopsis or a Vanda. I'd say more likely the former. Check out the Orchids Forum for care tips.

3. jhancock

jhancock Member

Thanks, Lorax, in viewing the pictures on the link you sent, I see that it is indeed a phalaenopsis.