Identification: Two Tropical Identifications

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by hydroxide, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hydroxide

hydroxide Member

We have a couple of tropicals that aren't doing so well but we're not sure what exactly they are so we don't know if we are overwatering/underwatering or too much/too little light. Any identifications would be great, ideas as to what is being done wrong are excellent!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Fittonia (1 and 2; maybe 3 as well).
    Corn plant, Dracaena fragrans (4)

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree that 1, 2 & 3 are fittonia. i think 4 is yucca elephantipes (can't remember the new name it has now that it's been reclassified - that'll work to google and get info though).

4. Jakk

Jakk Active Member

Number 4 is a Corn plant, Dracaena fragrans.

I have several Dracs and they do not like too much water, I let mine dry out a fair bit between waterings, mine is in a small pot like yours and I stick my finger in the soil to test and only water it when the top couple of centimeters of the soil is dry.

Dracs also like high humidity, mine is sitting on a pebble tray which is kept topped up with water, I also mist the at least once a day, another way to increase humidity around the plant is to group several plants together.

One last thing is they don't like to be in full sunlight, best to put them in bright but shady area.

Looking at the brown leaves on your plant it could be that the air is too dry for it.

Jakk

5. hydroxide

hydroxide Member

Thanks for the help everyone, appreciate it! :)