Turbina reclassification article?

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by Kada, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone know which book/journal the classification of T. corymbosa was published in? i cant find any articles specifically on this, so i am thinkin git was probably in a larger volume...????

the usda ref list is this:

but these seem mostly to do with geographic range...i am looking for the description and reclassification publication that put R. corymbosa into T. corymbosa (i already know why, through other papers, but want the original descriptions).

thanks!!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

From this page and its internal links: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?310542

Basionym: Convolvulus corymbosus L., Syst. nat. ed. 10, 2:923. (1759).
    Transfer to Turbina made by Rafinesque, in Fl. tellur. 4:81. (1838).

This paper might also be worth tracking down:
    Manos, P. S., Miller, R. E., & Wilkin, P. (2001). Phylogenetic analysis of Ipomoea, Argyreia, Stictocardia, and Turbina suggests a generalized model of morphological evolution in morning glories. Syst. Bot. 26:585–602. Abstract: http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1043/0363-6445-26.3.585

3. Kada

I have that one, thanks :)

but the citation you gave me opened up whole new doors to new papers i am anxious to read!!!

however i am still wondering. when RAf moved it to Turbina, am i right in thinking there would have been some form of publication outlining why? if so, this is the paper i am trying to find. it is this right? Fl. tellur. 4:81. (1838). thus far i have only found citations. what is the full name of "Fl. tellur." do you know?

thanks!
    kada

4. Michael F

Attached Files:

5. Kada

Michael,your a champ! Thanks so much. google books even has the full thing on PDF! i didnt know they did that! so is there a time limit for copy writes on books?

thanks again, appreciate it!

6. Michael F

Yes, usually 70 years after the death of the author (can be different in some countries, but most use 70 years). Rafinesque died in 1840, so his works came out of copyright in 1910.