Tulip bulbs - fall prep

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Honeydo, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Honeydo

Honeydo Member

Hi All,

When/how should I be prepping my soil & planting my tulips?? Do I plant them in Sept?

Thanks,
    Rhianna

2. Nath

Nath Active Member

Not sure about the weather in BC, but in the UK they plant the bulbs out between September to December. If your flowers and other plants have died back and you have started to clear the beds then a good organic mulch can be laid down, either one you purchase or preferably one you have been composting yourself over the last year. Then sow the Tulip bulps in 3 or 4 inch deep holes thus leaving and inch or two of top soil on them to protect them during their dormant time in the winter. It also means that they will have a reasonable bit of depth on them for their roots when they shoot up in Spring just in case of any windy weather they will be a bit stronger and better able to resist. Some gardners here put the bulbs only just under the surface and then when it gets windy wonder why their daffodils and tulips have all blown down and been dashed.

Tulips can be fun to organicse into patterns to give you more interesting displays too!

Nath