Trumpet Vine has lost all of its leaves

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by petercuriosity, Aug 7, 2008.

1. petercuriosity

petercuriosity Member

I have a two-year-old Trumpet Vine on my balcony. Suddenly (in the last day) it has shed all of its leaves. Any ideas about what my be happening to it.

Peter

2. breezesa

breezesa Member

Peter, I see that you had the same question that I have. You got no answers. Did you find anything out on your own? Could you let me know if you know anything? Thanks Sharon (breezesa)

3. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Could be insects - did you notice little dots and fadding on the leaves? Mites are extremely small - the easiest way to see them is turn a few leaves over, and adjust your sight and see if you notice a "sheen" that evetually fluctuates with the insects movement.
    I've noticed this mostly on burning bushes (Euonymus alata) this year, and some on Viburnum lantana, but not as much.
    I'm not aware of any common viruses, diseases, or fungal infections that act that quickly, unless perhaps, the plant was moderately stressed already, and this was the last straw? (not a pathological forensics expert by any means...)
    Good luck - I would just toss the whole thing and start over myself with so many unknowns.

4. petercuriosity

petercuriosity Member

Hi Wolvie,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not take a good look at the leaves before the event although I have been keeping an eye out for insects. Last year it had a infestation of avids that it withstood.

The plant just shed all of it folliage without warning - no signs of wilting, turning yellow etc.

The leaves are now growing back and it looks like the vine will make a good recovery.

A friend of mine, who is a Master Gardener, thought the the plant might have experienced a shock. Her opinion was that it might have dried out at its lower roots even though the top of the soil was still damp.

The vine is in a pot on a full sun concete balcony (10 am to 4 pm in the summer). It is in a green pot that is shaded by a trelllis. I went away for five days and the plant was not watered for three of them. It may well be that the bottom roots dried out because the concrete got too hot but the weather was not that warm at the time (last week of July). The folliage fell off after I watered it upon my return.

My panic and worry has subsided. The plant looks quite hardy at the moment.

Thanks again,

Peter

5. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

Peter -
    Looking at what you have told me, I would say the drought-wet food cycle your friend talked about is right on. You could also try a saucer, hort.. sponge (goes in bottom of pot, just a super sponge) or a reservoir (forgot name) that holds a fair amount of water but takes minimal volume.
    Am a master Gardner myself, but most of my experience is still pro ornamental care. So I tend to see things in the larger patterns of my work, sometimes overlooking those possibilities with single pots. (too much habit working with beds and berms). Sorry 'bout that.

FYI: The scale, aphids, and/or mites would take more than a week to cause the defoliation. When the leaves start to fall, it is usually a day or two before most to all are gone depending on the size of the plant and leaf surface area.