tropical plants in Canada?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, May 2, 2009.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Can anyone give me a listing of tropical plant growers in Canada? I've tried looking it up, but I get a lot of 'chaff' so to speak. What I'm looking for specifically is an Adiantum peruvianum. It was grown a few years back by a local wholesale grower who says they no longer carry it. I foolishly got rid of mine, and have been pining for it ever since. Can anyone help me, or maybe have seen it for sale somewhere? In Canada please...

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

3. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

I would suggest maybe the tropical plant section of you local big box store or Walmart tropical plant section. I have seen from time to time them carry these plants in Ontario. Not sure about B.C. area.

4. Chester

Been there, done that. Maybe different suppliers for your box store vs my box store? I have considered starting them from spores, but would still need a supply and am uncertain how to do that. I'm an impatient person, and the thought of spending who knows how long to get the fern (which is a larger adiantum) to a decent size makes me fade. Thanks for the ideas though, and if anyone should see some, please let me know, or I would more than reimburse if anyone could pick one up and send it on...

5. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

There are many tropical plant greenhouses in BC. I believe one is called angel plants or somthing like that around the burnaby region.

6. Chester

I am familiar with many of the growers in my neck of the woods, and have contacted them. All contacted have told me they are not growing it at this time, which is why I am going further afield as there have been reports of it being seen in the 'East'. Thanks though.