tropical plants in Canada?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, May 2, 2009.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Can anyone give me a listing of tropical plant growers in Canada? I've tried looking it up, but I get a lot of 'chaff' so to speak. What I'm looking for specifically is an Adiantum peruvianum. It was grown a few years back by a local wholesale grower who says they no longer carry it. I foolishly got rid of mine, and have been pining for it ever since. Can anyone help me, or maybe have seen it for sale somewhere? In Canada please...

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

3. Teddybear

Teddybear Member

I would suggest maybe the tropical plant section of you local big box store or Walmart tropical plant section. I have seen from time to time them carry these plants in Ontario. Not sure about B.C. area.

4. Chester

Been there, done that. Maybe different suppliers for your box store vs my box store? I have considered starting them from spores, but would still need a supply and am uncertain how to do that. I'm an impatient person, and the thought of spending who knows how long to get the fern (which is a larger adiantum) to a decent size makes me fade. Thanks for the ideas though, and if anyone should see some, please let me know, or I would more than reimburse if anyone could pick one up and send it on...

5. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

There are many tropical plant greenhouses in BC. I believe one is called angel plants or somthing like that around the burnaby region.

6. Chester

I am familiar with many of the growers in my neck of the woods, and have contacted them. All contacted have told me they are not growing it at this time, which is why I am going further afield as there have been reports of it being seen in the 'East'. Thanks though.

7. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Silver Dollar, Adiantum Peruvianum, ...Same here. I had one years ago, it was so beautiful but I foolishly gave it away when I moved. I have been scouring the internet and local vancouver stores for one but it is impossible to find. I would even go for seeds but that too can't be found.

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

9. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Thank you Junglekeeper, Siamgreenculture has quite a selection!

10. Junglekeeper

Did you manage to find one? If you're still looking, I thought I saw a couple in a local nursery. You may want to check with stores near you.

11. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I didn't get one yet. I am waiting for a local one. Do you remember where you saw them? I found maidenferns with rosy tips at Canadian Tire recently.

12. Junglekeeper

13. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I called them and they said they get a flat of mixed ferns every thursday. The person on the phone said she saw it before.

14. Junglekeeper

So are they the fern that you are after?

15. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I went yesterday to Hunter's garden on Broadway and got the last Adiantum Peruvianum. It's a little banged up and dried up but I was so happy to get my hands on it it didn't matter ;-).They get them from time to time. They were not very helpful on the phone and told me to try them on thursdays when they get their flats of mixed ferns. Thanks a bunch Junglekeeper!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2021
  16. Junglekeeper

I'm glad I was able to help. I noticed this particular fern was priced considerably more than the others. I wonder why that is.