Trimming Vines in Growing Season

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Doudem, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Doudem

Doudem Member

My vines are old and returning to health after many years of nobody taking care of them. They were not properly pruned for years and I started pruning last year but without experience I did not cut them back far enough. I have a wild growth happening right now with alot of bunches of grapes starting to hang down and a great proliferation of vines.

The system that was used to train the grapes is 6 arm Kniffen. The old canes were not completely cut down last year, and there is still 4 feet of wood on either side of the truck extending out of the main trunk on the wires.

Right now, June 2nd, how do I manage my vines? Is there a certain amount of buds that I should leave or should I try to tie them all up? Is there a certain distance to cut from the last bunch of grapes hanging down, like two buds down from the bunch?

2. Jennifer82179

Jennifer82179 Member

I would also like to know about pruning during growing season. We just bought our home and I believe that I have two, possibly more, very over grown concord grape vines that I would really like to get some good fruit from this year if possible.