Tree to identify

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ikadesh, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ikadesh

ikadesh New Member

Can anyone identify this tree in my garden. It is approximately 4-5m tall, and in the spring it flowers with white flowers that later turn pinkish purple (see pictures).
    I have attached a picture of the tree (overall), leaves, flowers, and the bark. I believe it is not native to this area, but not sure what type of tree. Ideas?

Also, here is a closer picture of the leaves, and the berries that the flowers turn into.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  2. ian66

ian66 Active Member

Looks like a Hawthorn.....perhaps a Crataegus laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

More like C. x mordenensis 'Toba'.

4. ikadesh

ikadesh New Member

I was wondering if it was indeed a Hawthorne, however I was doubtful because what I remember of Hawthorne variety is that the flowers are more open with 5 petals, and these are tight with many petals, like a rosette.
    From what I can see, I believe ian66 may be closer, but only because what I read about the 'toba hawthorn' is that the flowers go from white to pink, and these finish on quite a scarlet red in the end of august.
    Thanks to both of you for the pointers .. very helpful.

5. Ron B

No 'e' in hawthorn, when you are talking about a tree. Otherwise, you are at first talking here about single-flowered hawthorns, not double forms such as this. 'Paul's Scarlet' does not fruit and is never white. The true item is red and not pinkish, reverts back to the pinkish cultivar of which it is a sport that occurred a long time ago, in Britain. Hawthorn expert Phipps (in print reference described on page linked to below) states flatly that it is not present in North America, although trees that have quite dark flowers - sometimes mixed with branches of pinker ones, on the same tree - are present in my area. Anyway, the foliage, habit, white > pinkish flowers and scattered fruits are like those of 'Toba'. When this tree came up before I found there were quite a few pictures of it online. I've only seen a few examples down here but those were enough for me to get the idea.

http://www.timberpress.com/books/hawthorns_medlars/phipps/9780881925913

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. ikadesh

ikadesh New Member

thanks!

7. Ron B