Tree that grew wild on my roof....

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by missminni, May 29, 2011.

1. missminni

missminni Member

A couple of years ago this little tree appeared in one of the containers in my roof garden. It's a pretty big tree now but I have been unable to ID it. It suddenly
    came up with a leaf disease - looks fungal - but I have no idea what the tree is.
    I had to cut off the whole left side because it turned black overnight..that's why there's a big space there.
    Any idea what kind of tree it is?
    A man from the parks dept who was checking for beetles thought it was a laurel but wasn't sure...I'm in NYC.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One of the poplars.

3. missminni

missminni Member

Thanks...any idea to what the leaf issue is and how it should be treated? I just sprayed it with neem oil and garlic...should I be removing all affected leaves...which would be 90% of the tree?
    are poplars problematic with this disease?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try Googling poplar blight, it's probably bacterial.

5. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

Try Populus fremontii

6. missminni

missminni Member

That's it for sure...but how in the world did it grow wild on my roof in NYC when it's "native to western North America, in California (except Modoc Plateau) and east to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico, and south into Sonora in northwestern Mexico."

I since read that poplars very often have poplar fire blight and when comparing pictures, it looks like it's what it has. This happened last year too..and the bark of the tree has black striations in it now...so I think it's doomed. Since it's used to a dry climate and it is mostly humid here it's no wonder. I am going to remove it from the garden...since this is obviously going to be an ongoing issue How do you think it made it's way to NYC?
    Can this spread to other trees and plants in my garden? It's right next to a rose bush...should I be concerned?

7. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

The plant may have piggy-backed on something - came in with another plant? As for possible spread of the fire blight to your rose I don't know - not my expertise but I too would let this plant go for the two reasons you cited. As I recall it can spread via contaminated tools and contaminated cuttings are burned, but do check out proper disposal.