Tree Suggestions for cold climate

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by NorthernYard, Jun 15, 2020.

1. NorthernYard

NorthernYard Member

Hey all!

i’m looking for 2 of the same tree in the front yard from 12-30 feet that maintain green in the winter. I liked the idea of maples but 5-6 months of no foliage here too much. Zone 4b. Irrigation. Many deer.

I like the idea of Weeping Cedars. Suggestions? Your favs?

thanks!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

I grew up in Houston and my parents still live there on a small farm.

If you want evergreen trees, why not just plant a couple native species (pine, spruce, fir, balsam, etc.)? My dad planted some around the house years ago and they are huge now. You can't be sure about anything else. Other tree options (non-evergreen) are pretty limited: poplar, willow, etc. But if you need irrigation, they might not do well.

Have you talked to people in the local nurseries? (I think Smithers has two: one on the east side of town, and one toward the airport which, I think, is less expensive.) They may be able to offer some suggestions. Smithers has a high proportion of European immigrants (esp,. Swiss) and they like to grow many trees similar to what they had in Switzerland. My dad has had good luck with apple, plum, Linden, and a few other types of trees--but they are not evergreen. He even has a couple grape plants along the south side of the house that have survived the cold winters!

What size tree did you have in mind? Hazelnuts don't get too big, and they can be hardy to zone 4. Goumi is a new, medium-sized tree that is gaining in popularity--and it fixes Nitrogen in the soil. But these are both non-evergreen.

I guess you won't know what works until you try. Everything might look good on paper, according to plant hardiness zone, drought tolerance, size, etc., but, in reality, a tree just might not like that location. It's all an ongoing learning experience.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.