Tree Philodendron Spotting

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by urglefloggah, Feb 26, 2009.

1. urglefloggah

urglefloggah Member

So here is a very nice Philodendron bipinnatifidum, that over the last year, has developed a strange rust like spotting on some, but not all, of the leaves. A perfectly clean leaf may be sitting on a affected leaf, without any transfer of... whatever the spotting is. Below is one of the best example leaves. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Note that this is not a woody plant.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

philodendron's are aroids. if you've got enough posts to have the functionality of being able to move your posts, you can move this thread over to the aroid section. go to thread tools and click and if there's the option to move it, you're good to go. if not, ask a mod to move it for you.

as to the rust, well, you DO need to treat the plant to remove it. even though not all the leaves are affected, if you leave things as is, they will become so eventually.

now, to treat it, i can't recommend what to use. some type of fungicide, i'd guess. or something that says it's specifically for treating rust.

4. urglefloggah

urglefloggah Member

Mea culpa; thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, I have neither the clearance to move this, nor the knowledge of who is a moderator.

5. joclyn

no big deal about putting it in the wrong spot - happens to the best of us :)

daniel mosquin and eric la fountaine are mods here...i sent a pm to eric to ask him to move the thread for you.

maybe it's once you reach the next level (more than 29 posts) that the ability to move threads as well as send pm's starts. not sure.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

7. joclyn

no, i don't think that's eric and daniel...it's a pic of the old mods - whoever they were...

;)