Tree in Ice

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Hybrid Theory, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

Well here in Ohio about a week ago got about in inch of ice and then 8 inches of snow. I took a couple photos of some of my maples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

That icy coating sends a shiver up my spine! Not because it looks cold - its actually quite beautiful, but because I know how much havock a coating of ice like that can cause. Hope you didn't sustain any damage.

3. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Five or six years ago, we had an ice storm in Western Wa. The weird part was that
    it only happened in about a 6 squar mile area, of course we were lucky enough
    to be in the center of it. In 13 years at our current house, it was far and above
    the worst thing we've seen, felt, or heard since moving here. we lost 17 alders,
    4 birch and 2 Washington Hawthorns. Luckly all of our maples but one survived
    unhurt. All of our maples were literily flat as pancakes, but as soon as it warmed
    up, they all sprung right back. We hope you are as lucky.

Regards
    Cirque

Attached Files:

4. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

well so far all the ice melted and the trees took their shap back but I guess this spring will be the true test as to if they are damaged or not, but so far so good....keeping my fingers crossed.

5. orpheus

orpheus Active Member

Here are two pictures from the ice storm in Central Massachusetts in mid-December. We were without power for eight days.

Attached Files:

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

very nice pics!!complements to all!!